Thursday, April 4, 2013

First Birthday

The end of January was my one and only niece's first birthday.  I wasn't able to travel to see her for her birthday, they had just made a 1/2 cross country move the week before and I didn't have enough time to plan a flight.  I wanted to make sure that she knew how much her auntie loved her, all the clothes I have boughten her that say "my auntie rocks" might not have gotten the point across.  Plus since my kids are older and won't let me make clothes for them anymore, not cute ones anyway, I decided to make part of her present.  Since 1st birthdays are so special I decided she deserved a crown.  I have seen them on etsy.com but didn't really find a tutuorial that worked, so I just asked her mom to measure her head for me and I used a diet coke box  to make a template.  I used elastic in the back so she should be able to wear the crown for future birthdays or for dress up. 

I knew she was wearing a deep pink tutu but they didn't have anything else picked out when I checked.  I told them that I would make her a shirt, or embelish one anyway.  Here is what I came up with.
I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut the circles & the number one.  I added ric-rack between the circles and then blanket stitched everything together. 

I wouldn't be doing my job as and aunt if I didn't spoil my niece so I also bought her a JellyCat bunny.  I don't have a picture but it looks like this one I found on-line.  I have since bought her a small JellyCat duckie and have another one saved for the next time I send a gift.  This will be a new tradition of always sending her a JellyCat animal, they are so soft they have so many choose from.


The bunny needed a matching crown.

Although I wasn't able to spend her birthday with her, I was glad that she had something handmade by me that in the future that although I wasn't there that she will know that her Aunt loves her very much and was so happy she was turning one.

No comments:

Post a Comment